Friday, June 8, 2012

Cheat's doenjang jiggae

I'm really not into miso soup.. but the korean version is nice!


I made tofu and vegetable bean paste stew/soup, doenjang jiggae, for fatty hubby today. He's been feeling a bit under the weather and I thought something warm and soupy would make him feel better ^^.

Basically, to make doenjang jiggae, you need soybean paste or doenjang, which is similar to the chinese taucheo or the japanese miso. It's not expensive, and is widely available in the supermarts and the korean marts. I noticed the smell of doenjang is not as strong as the chinese taucheo, and it looks darker too. It is also not as salty ^^ that's really good! i like!

Anyways, this is my first time making doenjang jiggae. And I don't really have the ingredients as per the recipe (^^||).. so I tweaked it to suit what I have. I think my version is pretty good too. (^^)

Doenjang jiggae (adapted from my favorite little korean cookbook, korean favorites) ~ serves 4

2 liters water
40g dried baby anchovies
6 tbsp korean soybean paste, doenjang
1 tbsp korean hot chili bean paste, gochujang
3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, diced or sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 green chili, chopped
250g soft tofu, dubu, cubed
1 spring onion, cut into lengths

1. Bring water to a boil. Add anchovies, boil for 5 minutes and remove from stock.

2. Add doenjang and gochugaru to boiling stock. Add potatoes, onion, zucchini, mushrooms and chili, and simmer till vegetables are tender.

3. Add tofu and spring onion, and simmer for 1 minute. Cover the pot and serve after 2 minutes.
  

This recipe actually calls for a base stock of dried baby anchovies.. but since I had none, I just replaced with some pork meatballs (cut to small pieces) to make stock ^^. Then I added doenjang and gochujang.. and onions, japanese cucumber and soft organic tofu. So simple and easy, yet tastes good and not at all salty! (^^)

Fatty hubby loves this jiggae! I'm happy (^^)


No comments: