Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Caramel date cake


Hello, it's been awhile.

I didn't mean to go AWOL, but it's just that I haven't been baking much lately, and when I do, it's always the same ol', same ol'. ^^

Well, this is just another variation of my favorite butter cake.. made with leftovers.. caramel and dates.. see, another same ol', haha.

Caramel date cake (see my favorite butter cake recipe)
250g SALTED butter 
100g caster sugar
4 egg yolks 
1 tsp vanilla extract (I used 2 tbsps rum ^^)
230g self-raising flour, SIFTED (250g will not hurt too, don't worry)
6-8 tbsps fresh milk
200g chopped dates, mix with a tbsp of flour 
4 egg whites
90g caster sugar
caramel sauce (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 170 C.

2. Beat butter and 100g sugar till light and fluffy. Don't over beat, maybe around 3-4 minutes on high with my electric mixer.

3. Add egg yolks one at time and mix till well blended. Add vanilla extract.

4. Fold in self raising flour in 2 batches.

5. Add in milk and combine gently. Mix in the chopped dates.

6. In a clean bowl, beat egg WHITES till frothy and then add in the 90g sugar in batches/bit by bit. Beat till stiff and shiny. 

7. Add egg whites mixture to cake batter in 2 batches. Fold in quickly but GENTLY. 

8. Pour batter into a greased 8-inch round or square tin. Drop caramel sauce evenly on top of  the cake batter. 

9. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or till skewer comes out clean.


I like how the cake turned out with a marbled effect on the top. And it's not a sweet cake despite the addition of caramel. I didn't put a lot since there wasn't a lot of leftovers to begin with. So there were just spots here and there that's slightly sweeter as one hits the caramel bits. The chopped dates gave it a nice texture too. ^^

Well, I really love old fashioned butter cakes. No matter what twist you give it, it always turns out yums! ^^


2 comments:

Mel said...

I guess almost everyone loces old fashioned cake especially butter cake but nowadays as every person has different taste , the old fashioned type has different in variation flavour. And dates and caramel sounds wonderful for a change.

I love butter cake in egg separation method. Yum! I made a marbled cake with wgg separation the ither day and my sister has been munching and munching the cake away.

I miss your post when you go AWOL.... but forgive me too..... hahahaha.

hui said...

hi, mel! it's good to hear from you. you have certainly been missing way too long!!! ok, i forgive you ^^ just please post something soonest, ok?!
I can imagine your marble cake tasting oh-soooo good.. mmmmmmmm ^^ luckily i have some cake left, or i would toss and turn from craving cakes.. again! hehe ^^