Thursday, May 14, 2015

Coffee walnut.. and raisin cake


I totally planned this.

Yeah, right?! Who am I kidding! Most of my bakes are the result of leftovers or failed ideas! Haha!

Well, this is a combination of both.. a failed attempt at making crystallized sugar coated toasted walnuts and leftover raisins drowning in rum!

Coffee walnut raisin cake (recipe inspired/adapted from espresso almond butter cake)
~ makes an 8-inch square cake
250g salted butter
180g sugar (good enough for me, as my walnut meal is laced with caramel)
4 eggs
120g toasted walnut meal
240g flour, sifted (use cake flour, preferably)
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
80-100 g raisins, mix with a bit of flour
2 tbsp coffee powder + 120ml milk (+ a dash of bailey's irish cream ^^, optional)
toasted chopped walnuts for topping, optional

1. Beat butter and sugar till light and fluffy.

2. Add eggs one at a time, and mix till well combined. Or use the egg separation method the way I prefer ^^.

3. Fold in 1/3 sifted flours and walnut meal into the batter. Alternate with coffee milk. (F-C-F-C-F)

4. Pour batter into a greased 8-inch baking tin, and top with toasted walnuts if you like. Bake in a preheated oven of 170C, for 45-50 minutes or till skewer comes out clean.

Coffee walnut cake (with buttercream frosting) is a pretty popular cake. With raisins.. hmmm, less so, haha. Even I was sceptical of how it would taste like.. but I have raisins to clear ^^! Well, you now have my word it works beautifully! Delish! And it's not just me, fatty hubby and friends enjoyed it too ^^

Ah,,,,,,,, a simple treat, perfect with a spot of tea.. or coffee. Just the thing for me ^^


2 comments:

Mel said...

You are such a brilliant to come out with a cake with your leftovers bits from this and that. Coffee walnut and raisins sounds wonderfully yummy to me already.
You must be feeling full satisfaction and accomplishment when your cake is being enjoyed by all.

Whereas me, I just flopped baking my banana cake awhile ago....

hui said...

I'd like to think that I'm clever too, mel.. but honestly, it's more like I'm desperate, haha!
Sorry to hear about your banana bake though.. what went wrong? While banana cake is easy 2 make, it is just as easy to mess up. You have no idea the countless times i did, especially since I'm always way too greedy with the bananas! Hp it's still salvageable, and edible ^^